FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By alecStewart1
Hey, friends!

Want to gets some help with my little N. ramispina. As you can see in the photo the only full grown (at least at the size) present pitcher is turning red and wilting a little. I checked under the leaves for fungus but I don't see anything noticeable. The one leaf with a single big red spot has been like that for a little bit.

I understand that it may be due to too much sun exposure, so I lifted the grow light away from it and the other Nepenthes I have. The light you see in the photo is roughly the amount of light it's getting, though it may look brighter just due to exposure from the phone camera.

Another thing of note is that I gave it a teeny tiny osmocote pellet with a tiny drop of distilled water several days ago. Would that contribute to this?

Luckily the plant is still growing other leaves without trouble, but this little guy was expensive so I wanna make sure he does well. :lol:

Any ideas what it might be and how I can fix it?
Attachments:
IMG20230408223759.jpg
IMG20230408223759.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 943 times
IMG20230408223805.jpg
IMG20230408223805.jpg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 943 times
IMG20230408223753.jpg
IMG20230408223753.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 943 times
By alecStewart1
Oh actually, now that I think about it, I did touch this little pitch with my hands a little too much. I know some don't really like you doing that when they're in the earlier growth stages. Maybe that's it.
By RookiePresent
I would guarantee that the pitcher is just burned from the osmocote pellet, which is normal. I've never noticed any pitcher damage caused by handling them. Personally, I would not worry about it. My tentaculata did the same thing; I gave its one and only pitcher an osmocote pellet, which caused the pitcher to burn and die off. But then it had a big leaf jump and put out a pitcher twice the size and I feel something similar will happen for you. Tentaculata has very thin pitcher walls, and ramispina (at least its hybrids) also have relatively thin pitcher walls which makes them extra susceptible to this kind of nutrient burn.
alecStewart1 liked this
By alecStewart1
Good to know! The little guy is doing better after bumping up the humidity by putting him in a plastic bag for a bit. A new pitcher is coming in and there's another on it's way as well.

Now I just gotta worry about my hybrid, lol.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!