FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
I requested some capillaris long arm in spring and the one I have remaining in the original pot is putting out a flower! I don't think it matters, but I always though capillaris got bigger than and inch across at maturity. Am I wrong or is my plant flowering prematurely?
By ChefDean
There are many factors that will dictate size, and many other aspects of a plant.
First, gene expression. Maybe the genetic soup will only tell seed A to grow to two inches, but seed B will only grow to an inch.
Next, location it evolved in. Tropical ones are typically smaller because they experience sunlight more directly. More intense sunlight for more efficient photosynthesis. The further away from the equator, the more acute the angle of the sun, so less intense. They may grow larger to capture more light.
Age is also a biggie. My capillaris grew well, but only got to an inch the first year. The second year it got to almost two inches.
Maybe yours is as big as it's gonna get, maybe it isn't done. Patience young Grasshopper.
Sundews69 liked this
By MikeB
I had a bunch of capillaris 'Long Arm' plants revert back to typical appearance. I bought them from a grower in Hawaii, and I keep them outdoors in North Carolina. Maybe the didn't like the change in climate.
Sundews69 liked this

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!