FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Feylan wrote:I will put them back outside in the fall/spring and keep them in the greenhouse during the summer/winter, I guess, or should I just keep them in the green house year round?
Summer time is tough for greenhouses because they can get so hot. They work great 3 seasons of the year -- fall, winter and spring -- to extend the growing season. But using them during the summer it tough because they get so hot. They do provide a bit of relief from the UV rays of the sun, but shade cloth can accomplish that and not add to the temperatures that the plants will be subjected to.
By Annageckos
I don't know about flytraps in particular, but most plants do not like going from an inside environment to straight into full sun. When I grow seedlings for my veggie garden I have to harden off the seedlings. That is I have to slowly acclimate the plants to the different temps and amount of sun. When I got my flytraps I did a similar processed. I moved them outside in full shade for a few days, then into part sun for a few more days then to the spot I wanted them, which is full sun. I only have a few plants, one VFT and three pitcher plants. The plants can burn if moved too fast. Though maybe in your area the full sun is just too much for them. Add some shade and maybe water/humidity and see how they like it.
By Eevadesade
It happened to me too. I live in southern California and it's been about 103 everyday for the past 2-3 weeks and little by little my flytraps that looked amazing in June are just fried now. It's not the soil, I've kept their tray filled with distilled water. I've had these for 3 years and this year the heat was too much for them. I'm trying to save what's left by moving them to a part shade, but they might not make it. I'm pretty tore up about it.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Eevadesade wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:30 am It happened to me too. I live in southern California and it's been about 103 everyday for the past 2-3 weeks . I've had these for 3 years and this year the heat was too much for them. I'm trying to save what's left by moving them to a part shade, but they might not make it. I'm pretty tore up about it.
This threads eight years old. :D The heat could be an issue but…have your plants had a period of dormancy over the three years that you’ve had them?
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!