FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By devkatie
This is the only thing I can find around here. We live in the boonies. The nearest big store is 2.5 hours away. Has anyone used it or knows if it would be safe for our plants? I know people use it in aquariums without problem.Image

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
By optique
fill a container half that stuff half water shake well and test the water's TDS after. if it did not change its safe, if it changed a little poor the water out and do test a 2nd time with clean water to test if washing it will fix.
By optique
i got some coco chips off ebay one time took me a week of soaking/shaking daily to feel safe.
By devkatie
Guess I should invest in a tester.
I'm not sure what to think about the product. After doing some research online it's slag left over from coal mining. Supposily it's inert but I don't know.

By twitcher
I would not use it. If you are going to test, you need to let the material soak in ro or distilled water for more than a few days before testing the water that the stuff has been soaking in. It can take time for a material to leach into the water. If using the tray method, it can accumulate that material over time.
By devkatie
Thanks for your comments. Right now I think I'm not going to risk it. I'll just stick with perlite and peat for now.

By Kapahulu
I know this is an old post. Ive been doing a bit of reading on this forum. But referring to the Black Diamond sand, it should be ok to use.
Ive have 5 aquariums that I raise Neocaridina shrimp, and I use Black diamond or Pool Filter sand for the substrate. Perfectly safe for shrimp, should be ok for plants.
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!