FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Greetings to all members of the flytrap care forum!

So as you have probably read, I am on the hunt for the most approved of P. gigantea media. I've had one for about a year and a half now and I've kept it in the same peat and perlite mixture that it came in. It's definitely time for a change. It's stayed quite small compared to how large it probably should be right about now, and I've heard that they enjoy slightly alkaline media and possibly calcium. That would most likely give it the boost it needs!

So anyway, back to the point; I'm looking for any suggestions on a mix or something that I could buy already mixed, because I know that some of the online CP shops sell media that has already been mixed. I'd love to hear about what you guys use as well.

Any help would be appreciated very much! Thanks!

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

By Nepenthes0260
I grow about 10 gigantea plants and the soil I use for all of them is a 1:1:1 ratio of peat: perlite: vermiculite. I use about 50% vermiculite for my other pings, but when I planted my largest specimen of gigantea in that mix with more vermiculite it didn't like it and turned yellow. When I transplanted it to the 1:1:1 mix, it picked up growth and is doing well again.
By That one plant boi
Ok cool. So you don't provide any alkaline or calcium for them at all? And if I wanted to provide those things how would I go about doing that?

By Huntsmanshorn
I use a vermiculite, perlite, sand mix (1/1/1) and sometimes I will add a little peat or plain potting soil to spice things up a bit. I prefer to use sand with limestone in it but I'm not really sure it makes too much difference.
By That one plant boi
Huntsmanshorn wrote:I use a vermiculite, perlite, sand mix (1/1/1) and sometimes I will add a little peat or plain potting soil to spice things up a bit. I prefer to use sand with limestone in it but I'm not really sure it makes too much difference.
Alright, guess I'll give this mixture a shot. Thanks!

By hungry carnivores
I make a very complicated 'premium mix' that seems to do all mexican pings good, that is, except for P. Gina, which likes a little more water.

Here is to make a gallon of the stuff:

1.5qt perlite
1.5qt sand
1 cup vermiculite
3 cups peat or LFS

Mix that all up and add the mineralizers:

1 tsp baking soda (NOT the powder, which will fizz and ruin the sphag and you will need to wash it, I've done it more than once.....)
1/2 tsp lime (or just water the mixture with hard water)
If you have tuffa or limestone, chip up a tsp and put it in.

Mineralizers are not necessary but I find that they encourage root growth, and as you know lots of pings have tiny root systems.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!