FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By StrongManPeen
I've been wanting to make a very small outdoor bog garden for a while now, and I've finally started to think about how exactly I am going to do it. Giving the plants proper soil and water is something I can do, the only problem is that I live in Canada, and the winters are very cold and harsh at times. I need some recommendations for plants that can survive very cold winters, and I am willing to cover the plants throughout the winter as well to keep them protected.

So far, the plants I'm thinking would be good are:
- Drosera Intermedia "Temperate"
- Drosera Filiformis "Temperate"
- Sarracenia Purpurea

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
By Panman
Drosera rotundafolia would be a good sundew. You can also try the cold hardy butterworts Pinguicula vulgaris, Pinguicula macroceras, Pinguicula grandiflora. You will also want to get S. purpurea purpurea. It is more cold hardy than S. purpurea venosa.
By Huntsmanshorn
Besides those listed, if you can find them, you could try: Drosera x beleziana, D. x hybrida, D. linearis, D. x obovata, and if your bog is in ground you might try Sarracenia oreophila. Of course, all Drosera you are interested in are temperates, which can be very tricky, so seeds are the way to go, with more being waaaay better than less.
StrongManPeen liked this
By Dragonslayer126
StrongManPeen wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:13 pm I've been wanting to make a very small outdoor bog garden for a while now, and I've finally started to think about how exactly I am going to do it. Giving the plants proper soil and water is something I can do, the only problem is that I live in Canada, and the winters are very cold and harsh at times. I need some recommendations for plants that can survive very cold winters, and I am willing to cover the plants throughout the winter as well to keep them protected.

So far, the plants I'm thinking would be good are:
- Drosera Intermedia "Temperate"
- Drosera Filiformis "Temperate"
- Sarracenia Purpurea

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I know you already said purpurea, but definitely get purpurea, and get the subspecies purpurea btw because the venosa is not hardy, well, hardy enough.
By the way, unless it gets below -25F I believe was their hardiness they don't need protection. That's really all I know though. Hardy wise I'm probably gonna post something similar to this too.
StrongManPeen liked this
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!