FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
Insects are increasing day by day! I am seeing honey bees, carpenter bees, sweat bees, yellow jackets, paper wasps, butterflies, jumping spiders (I know they aren’t insects) and a lot of small and big flies. All these bugs also mean a lot of food for my plants. And they have already caught some! My VFTs caught 2 paper wasps and one fly and my S.purpurea also caught one paper wasp. My cape sundews are catching a lot of gnats too! Here are some pictures of some of the insects that tried to escape unsuccessfully :twisted:
Attachments:
I like to call this “Red chamber of death”
I like to call this “Red chamber of death”
F3A8ACC5-E708-4CC8-8C9F-3D4880BB78B6.jpeg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 725 times
Stupid paper wasp
Stupid paper wasp
B49A34E9-CFB4-48E5-B55A-6C805BE5DB66.jpeg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 725 times
Stupid fly
Stupid fly
93D7800F-A27F-4AF4-8D3A-DBB7E9BFAF5F.jpeg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 725 times
By Intheswamp
The bugs that are hanging halfway out of the traps probably need to be removed and maybe refed to the plants. My understanding is that since the trap can't close completely on it the plant will not start digesting the bug and thus the bug will rot, killing the trap. It looks like the plants bit off a little more than they can chew, er, digest. Congrats on your plants looking good and catching their own food...just like younguns, sometimes their eyes (do they have eyes? :lol: ) are bigger than their stomach (trap?).

ETA: On looking at the bugs, they might be too large. Most recommendations are for food roughly 1/3 the size of the traps. Those might be a little big. But, it looks like the one silhouette image has a large bug nestled down nicely inside the trap. Just sayin'.... ;)
By Barlapipas 6
I didn’t want to say it but I cut the parts that were sticking out of the traps and gave them to my purpurea. There are still some wasp legs and wings sticking out even though I tried to push it deeper. On the other hand, the trap with the fly is completely sealed. I remember one time when my old VFT caught a wasp that was sticking out and it ate it just fine without rotting. But it was in the middle of the summer in blazing hot sun. It was also a different plant so it maybe could handle bigger prey.
By Intheswamp
Hey, maybe they'll gobble them on down!!!! Nice move on sharing parts of the bugs with your purpurea!

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!