FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By za419
They should all be fine as long as the pieces you're feeding are the right size (~1/3rd of the trap).

I find that easiest to accomplish with bloodworms (and I think they're the most nutritionally dense, but I could be wrong), but whatever works for you should do.
adbarnesh liked this
By schmeg
Information that was valuable to me when I started keeping flytraps:

Bloodworm fish food is actually a fly larvae. Since carnivorous plants are seeking nutrients from insects, to me it makes 100% sense to stick with insects -- not to give them actual worm invertebrates (annelids, etc.), shellfish, algae, fish meal, grains, or all the other things that can end up in fish food.

Successful growers have learned that nothing beats the regular natural environment of flytraps: lots of direct sun, catching their own fresh bugs, and winter dormancy (no hand-feeding during this rest period).

- - - - -

Edited to add: I acknowledge the OP was only asking about "worm" types that are also insect larvae. Dried mealworms, etc. would still fit the insect nutrient source. The dried mealwormy things I feed my hens have a relatively hard outer layer. No prob for a hen, but might add a lot of indigestible roughage for a flytrap.

In my experience, the tiny red bloodworms sold as fish food (dried or frozen) have a delicate thin outer layer.
MikeB liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!