FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Adelae
So I'm eyeing the possibility of joining a group order and the delusions of grandeur are starting. I could potentially get Drosera murfetii for $10 plus my share of shipping.

I've always thought D. arcturi and murfetii were really neat, and I've recently moved from my sweltering apartment to a well air conditioned one with a small outdoor space on the border of zones 5 and 6. So I have access to cold, but not ALPINE cold, you know?

So I was wondering, has anyone had success with murfetii and in what kind of setup? Would I need some kind of highland chamber or could it, say, sit outside (or in a fridge/freezer if that's too many repeated freeze/thaws) for winter and indoors in front of an air conditioner vent in summer?
By Adelae
evenwind wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:09 pm Have you seen this? http://www.carltoncarnivores.com/drosera-murfetii
That had some useful and reassuring references, thanks. Sounds like it's happy at lower altitudes than D. arcturi and the one icps article says it only went dormant at 30+ C instead of dying, so I may go for it.
By Shadowtski
I grow D. murfetii in my basement.
50/50 peat/perlite mix w Live Sphagnum top dressing, subtropical (35Deg) photoperiod, domed 3 inch pot in my mostly unheated basement.
I've had it for several years, a giveaway win from Hollyhock.
It has survived, done ok, but not thrived for me.
By Huntsmanshorn
Shadowtski wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:46 pm I grow D. murfetii in my basement.
50/50 peat/perlite mix w Live Sphagnum top dressing, subtropical (35Deg) photoperiod, domed 3 inch pot in my mostly unheated basement.
I've had it for several years, a giveaway win from Hollyhock.
It has survived, done ok, but not thrived for me.
Do you ever get seed? If you do, do you have problems getting it to germinate? I have tried seed with these guys (and it's cousin, arcturi) and I can never get it to grow. Very frustrating.
By Shadowtski
Huntsmanshorn wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:47 pm Do you ever get seed? If you do, do you have problems getting it to germinate? I have tried seed with these guys (and it's cousin, arcturi) and I can never get it to grow. Very frustrating.
So far, no seed.
I received it as a small plant.
I think it needs a bigger pot, more room, and different temperatures, in order to really thrive.
By Huntsmanshorn
Shadowtski wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:53 pm So far, no seed.
I received it as a small plant.
I think it needs a bigger pot, more room, and different temperatures, in order to really thrive.
Ah, too bad. Hopefully you'll have better luck in the future.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!