FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all, does anyone here have any experience growing pineapples from pineapple tops?

I tried growing one last summer, but it rotted out from the inside because it had one of those plastic tags rammed through the side and into the core, which caused it to rot.

Got a new one and planted it on 4/2/2022, after removing the bottom leaves, chopping away any remaining fruit until I saw the brown nubs where the roots grow out from, dipped it in some rooting hormone, and popped it into the soil, and watered it until it was moist, then just left it alone near a window.

It keeps on being cloudy nonstop everyday so I took some of my old grow lights and set it up next to it today.

I'm not sure if it's doing ok or not, a lot of the leaves are starting to dry up, and I checked the center of the plant and the center, small leaves in the core of the plant look kind of like they're turning brown. Is that alright and normal? Does the plant eventually just root and start growing more leaves out the middle eventually? The young leaves that came with the plant in the "core" aren't the ones that end up growing?

Doesn't look like there's any rot issues, and the center leaves still feel "attached" and don't get ripped out when I pull on them gently.

By Nikson
hollyhock wrote:Maybe try water propagation method? That's how I got mine to root easily. Then I transferred it to a pot with soil.
Did you let the bottom of the plant dry out first before putting it into water, or did you just put it into water immediately after removing it from the fruit?
By oval
I have two that I just stuck in the ground outside under the drip line of the roof on the south side. They had one pineapple each last year and this year one has two forming and the other has only one. I didn't know about cleaning out the fruit from it, just buried the top fairly shallow.

The last one I tried the water method and mostly forgot about it outside, except watering occasionally, and one day lifted it up and there were lots of roots growing. I finally got around to putting it in the ground and it seems to be doing okay.
hollyhock, Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Thanks for the tips guys!

Oh yeah, just a question, did you guys get pineapples that had a plastic tag stuck through it? All the pineapples I find at stores have like this plastic tag drilled through into the core so they can hang the Dole cardboard or whatever from, and it always seems to cause the plant to rot from there. I wonder if I should just leave the plastic tag there untouched and just remove the cardboard placard or something. It's kind of annoying.
By Nikson
Man, the one I have potted in soil is starting to get kinda weird in the middle, the core area where the smaller leaves grow out of. It's starting to look a little yellow and mushy in there and I see some white mold growing. I sprayed the center area down with some fungicide, hope it maybe will stop the rotting.

Family bought another pineapple so I prepped that and put it into water instead this time lol.

I swear, I have the worst luck with these.

By Jasicorn
My mom and I tried to this once, it didn't work. :P
Nikson liked this
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!