FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Mrconnor
I notice that algae is growing on the sphagnum moss when I use the tray method for my plants… recommendations? My utricularia and some of my vfts don’t look so good. My sundews and pitcher plants look fine but I’m worried.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Dan V
Can't see any algae in the pics but guessing it could be high tds water, lack of air movement, might need the moss refreshed or moss is being kept too wet. Algae is not harmful but doesn't look very nice.
By Mrconnor
With the tray method… should I only put water in a few times a week or keep them constantly in water?

By Mrconnor
I use distilled water

By Camden
Mrconnor wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:05 am With the tray method… should I only put water in a few times a week or keep them constantly in water?

I usually water them when they get empty so that algae doesn’t build up.
By Intheswamp
I can't really tell much from the photos...color temperature seems off and the images need to be a bit larger...something 500KB in size would be good.

I'm no expert, but... From what you've said it kind of sounds like you're keeping them too wet. You said that the sundews and pitcher plants look good...they like it very moist to wet. But, you said your flytraps and utricularia don't look good...flytraps only want to be moist and not wet. Utricularia I'm not familiar with...there seems to be a range of these plants from terrestrial to aquatic. I did read a couple of places where utricularia likes a peaty mix and I take it that you're growing it in sphagnum moss? Best wishes.

Mrconnor wrote:I notice that algae is growing on the sphagnum moss when I use the tray method for my plants… recommendations? My utricularia and some of my vfts don’t look so good. My sundews and pitcher plants look fine but I’m worried.<snip>

Dan V liked this
By Bluefire
The particular Utricularia they’re growing seems to be U. longifolia which, if I remember right, likes a Sphagnum mix. I also think they like being wet, so I have no idea why that one isn’t looking its best.
By Mrconnor
Intheswamp wrote:I can't really tell much from the photos...color temperature seems off and the images need to be a bit larger...something 500KB in size would be good.

I'm no expert, but... From what you've said it kind of sounds like you're keeping them too wet. You said that the sundews and pitcher plants look good...they like it very moist to wet. But, you said your flytraps and utricularia don't look good...flytraps only want to be moist and not wet. Utricularia I'm not familiar with...there seems to be a range of these plants from terrestrial to aquatic. I did read a couple of places where utricularia likes a peaty mix and I take it that you're growing it in sphagnum moss? Best wishes.

Mrconnor wrote:I notice that algae is growing on the sphagnum moss when I use the tray method for my plants… recommendations? My utricularia and some of my vfts don’t look so good. My sundews and pitcher plants look fine but I’m worried.<snip>

The pictures are there to show what the plants look like. Why would you need to see algae in the pics and not just take my word for it. You seem very irritable and ready to fight. So we don’t need your two cents. Everyone else thank you

By Bluefire
A picture is worth a thousand words, sir. If you would be so kind as to offer us photos with the algae visible, we may be able to give you more useful advice. Also, it appears that you're being confrontational right back to the person you interpreted as such. Maybe instead of immediately assuming they're trying to fight, try to ask them what their intentions were?
By Intheswamp
By no shape, form, or fashion did I intend to be combative in my words and I do not believe that I was. You have more serious problems than sick plants. I wish you the best and you will never get another response from me. You are the first person that I've put on my blocked users list here on FTC, I suggest you put me on yours. Btw, I think I hear your mommy calling you. Goodbye.
Mrconnor wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:02 pm
Intheswamp wrote:I can't really tell much from the photos...color temperature seems off and the images need to be a bit larger...something 500KB in size would be good.

The pictures are there to show what the plants look like. Why would you need to see algae in the pics and not just take my word for it. You seem very irritable and ready to fight. So we don’t need your two cents. Everyone else thank you

KingLouis_CLXXII liked this
By thepitchergrower
I didn't think that Intheswamp's response was rude. It seemed like he was offering you good advice and info. Perhaps this is all a misunderstanding, and we should all calm down.
Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!