FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
I got a Drosera filiformis 'Dreamsicle' recently, but it has been without light for a long time. What do I do to return it back to health? (Quick question: does the dreamsicle need dormancy?)
By thepitchergrower
Those plants aren't dormant. Or at least they don't look like it from his pics. Does it have a hibernaculum? Also are you growing indoors or outdoors?
Last edited by thepitchergrower on Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ChefDean
Yo, Pandude! Was the Dreamsicle dormant already? Or did our weather in the south this year confuse it?

Or you could PM Pangentleman and ask. He's nice for an old person, won't even yell at you to get off his lawn.
By TrapsAndDews
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:38 pm Those plants aren't dormant. Or at least they don't look like it from his pics. Does it have a hibernaculum? Also are you growing indoors or outdoors?
None that I see. I will grow outdoors later. After it recovers I'll harden it off.
By TrapsAndDews
ChefDean wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:38 pm Or you could PM Pangentleman and ask. He's nice for an old person, won't even yell at you to get off his lawn.
Already did. :mrgreen: You're saying I can picnic on his lawn and he won't mind at all?
By TrapsAndDews
The plants roots came wrapped in sphagnum moss and a paper towel. Do the plants need to be grow in sphagnum moss, or are they just wrapped in it for shipping?
By thepitchergrower
Chill with the questions. :lol: They can grow in both Sphagnum and Peat moss and sand/perlite. If it has leaves, I cover it with a humidity dome. If not, it's not really nescessary. It should be in pretty much full sun.
By Panman
So, that plant was growing under lights and is only a few months old, so it can skip dormancy this year. Pot it in peat/perlite or your favorite CP growing mix. It was in sphagnum to keep the roots moist. You can use it for top dressing. If probably bag the whole thing for a week or two until it sells in.
ChefDean liked this
By TrapsAndDews
Thank you. Did you say the plant is only a few months old? I have spatulata seedlings that old and the largest are only 1/2 an inch across, while this plant is half a foot tall!
By TrapsAndDews
There are actually 2 dreamsicles. I just took off the moss and paper towel. I think -stanley- also told me that his tracii was 2 plants.
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!