FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Kevin01
I was initially worried when my Gaya didn't produce a pitcher on it's new leaf back 5 months ago, was told not to worry and keep my humidity and spirits high. Humidity has averaged at 70-80%, now going 60-70% entering winter. There is what looks like the start of a new leaf, it has been there for many months, also no pitcher from the looks of it - Why is it so slow, and why are there no pitchers?

A spider has also decided to move in, he is small but I'm fond of him, he keeps gnats away, he has made quite a web :)
By Kevin01
I keep the soil damp, never sobbing nor ever dry. It gets an hour of afternoon light in summer months, otherwise bright indirect from a south facing window. Do you recommend changing this up? If so, what other conditions should I give it?
By Huntsmanshorn
If your temps are very low that might be an issue, but it's way more likely your plant is not getting enough light. Making pitchers takes a lot of energy and that energy comes from light, so I would say that's your next step. Anyway, it's worth a try.
By Intheswamp
Do you or have you fertilized the plant? Going from reading online only, as I don't own a nepenthes, it sounds that some growers use an orchid fertilizer *sparingly* to fertilize with...as a soil drench and a foliar spray. Fertilizing is a two-edged sword, though, as it sounds too much fertilizer can inhibit pitcher formation, too. Also, I'm all for the "more direct sunlight"...two or three hours worth would probably up your nepenthes' game. :) All of this is from what I've read, just sharing. ;)
By Kevin01
I'll see about giving it more *direct* light. It will be very difficult if I want to keep the humidity high aswell, hmm. It'll work out I hope.

InTheSwamp, I haven't fertilised it ever, I think I'm still too new to fiddle with that
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!