FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
ChefDean wrote:Many people have commented the same thing, that FTS flytraps seem to hit the ground running. Maybe Matt and Leah are unknowingly doing something that enables the plant to put more into the rhizome, like the plant preparing for a bad year by storing more food for later.
Honestly, I think we just take very good care of our plants and only send them when they are at their healthiest. The environment here in Oregon is far from ideal for growing flytraps, so once they arrive somewhere much more favorable (i.e. Georgia) they just burst into growth with all of the reserves they've been saving up in their rhizomes waiting for better conditions to present themselves! That's just speculation though
Adrien liked this
By ChefDean
I just realized that my comment sounded bad. I didn't mean to imply that you're mistreating your plants so they jump for joy when they get sent away. (Picturing the Millers whipping their plants, "Grow dagnabbit!")
I meant to infer that they get good enough care that they can produce extra energy, and stored it in the rhizome for future use. (Leah lovingly reading them bedtime stories)
By Matt
ChefDean wrote:I just realized that my comment sounded bad. I didn't mean to imply that you're mistreating your plants so they jump for joy when they get sent away. (Picturing the Millers whipping their plants, "Grow dagnabbit!")
:lol: :lol: :lol: No, I knew what you meant and certainly didn't read it at all in a negative way!!
ChefDean liked this
By Panman
ChefDean wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:39 pm (Picturing the Millers whipping their plants, "Grow dagnabbit!")
LOL. This is the picture I got in my mind. :lol:
By Panman
Another update. I guess we are at about 5 months from me receiving the nickel sized plants. They are scattered all around my bogs, in mass plantings, and some in individual pots. Plus, many of their siblings have found new homes. Look at the size and variety in this 12 inch pot alone!
Attachments:
IMG_15072021_210129_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg
IMG_15072021_210129_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg (559.07 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
Last edited by Panman on Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elaineo, Matt liked this
By schmeg
My batch of FTS babies from 2020 is thriving. I got lots of teeny plants like you, and a year later they are all respectably large stable grown-ups.

Meanwhile, I have my own seed-grown from the same 2020 time-frame that are still wee fragile babies that never seem to put on weight.

Plan now for where you'll warehouse them next year, because you'll have LOTS of nice plants.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!