FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By TrapHappy
Ran out of pots... the rest are in the only pots I had, and more pots for them should be arriving Friday or next monday
By Supercazzola
Wonder if leaving them bare root for a few more days would have been less trauma for them? Not sure. Just was curious.
By Panman
I wanted to give an update on how my flytraps from FTS are doing. The first picture is from 2/21, about 3 weeks after I got them. The second is two weeks later on 3/7. I have lost one but the others are going gang busters. I didn't expect them to grow this big this fast so what do you think should be the next pot upgrade option? I don't have enough room to pot them all in their own 3" pot.
Babies busting out all over!
Babies busting out all over!
25 Babies.gif (1.65 MiB) Viewed 5766 times
As of 2/21
As of 2/21
20210221_130010.jpg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 5766 times
As of 3/7
As of 3/7
20210307_171545.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 5766 times
Supercazzola, Matt, MikeB liked this
By Matt
Panman wrote:I didn't expect them to grow this big this fast
From what I've seen based on plants around the country and world, our plants typically store a lot more below ground here and look much smaller than they actually are. Once they are sent to a new climate that is much more sub-tropical with warm nights and high humidity, such as anywhere in the southeast or the eastern US, they typically quickly grow to a very large size!
Panman wrote:so what do you think should be the next pot upgrade option? I don't have enough room to pot them all in their own 3" pot.
What is your long-term plan for them? You might get one big pot and stick them all in it to get a nice carpet of traps. Or, if you want to grow them out to give away or sell, you could choose the largest ones and repot them into however many larger pots. Then once one finds a new home, upgrade the next largest one to the larger pots that you have space for.
Panman, MikeB, Supercazzola liked this
By Supercazzola
I can’t believe I missed out on that sale. I was too caught up with the TrapHappy drama. He wound up getting an order from “his girlfriend” and I missed out. Matt, will you offer this again ?
By MikeB
Panman wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:37 pmI didn't expect them to grow this big this fast so what do you think should be the next pot upgrade option? I don't have enough room to pot them all in their own 3" pot.
The problem is that any solution requires more room. If you did move them to 3" pots, that would be 18 pots per 1020 tray, so just over 3 trays to hold them all. If you wanted to keep them in plug trays, you could do some deep ones like these, but that will require 2-4 trays, too.
Supercazzola liked this
By Matt
Supercazzola wrote:Matt, will you offer this again ?
Possibly. Leah puts them in stock as she has time to fill them. We're getting pretty darn busy now, so she might not offer them again until this fall or winter. But if you shoot her an email at sales@flytrapcare.com and mention you're a forum member, she might be able and willing to offer some just to you via a private order. We try to take care of our FTC forum members and regular FTS customers :D
Panman liked this
By Panman
Matt wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:09 pm What is your long-term plan for them? You might get one big pot and stick them all in it to get a nice carpet of traps. Or, if you want to grow them out to give away or sell, you could choose the largest ones and repot them into however many larger pots. Then once one finds a new home, upgrade the next largest one to the larger pots that you have space for.
Well, I was only planning on getting 25 so my plans went out the window! ;) Seriously though, having a nice big pot with a carpet of traps sounds like a great idea. I also like your space management plan. That makes lots of sense. I absolutely love how well they are doing and I can't wait to get them some elbow room.
By MikeB
+1 on that. I think that large plantings of Venus flytraps look spectacular!
By Panman
Another update after moving these outside and shipping out some of their siblings. I can't believe how big these are considering most of them had a rhizome that was only about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.
As of 4/26/21
As of 4/26/21
25 210416.jpg (429.56 KiB) Viewed 5350 times
Matt liked this
By ChefDean
Panman wrote:I can't believe how big these are considering most of them had a rhizome that was only about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.
25 210416.jpg
Many people have commented the same thing, that FTS flytraps seem to hit the ground running. Maybe Matt and Leah are unknowingly doing something that enables the plant to put more into the rhizome, like the plant preparing for a bad year by storing more food for later.
By Adrien
@Panman could you send a link to those seedling trays you are using? Thank you.
By Panman
Those are the Biodome from Park Seeds
https://parkseed.com/seed-starting/gc/seed-starting/

I got them years ago for starting my tomato plants. I don't use the plugs because I think they have fertilizer in them but I stuff the holes with sphagnum and they really seem to like it. I have tried filling them with peat/perlite but they don't come out nicely from that.
Adrien liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!