FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I have an indoor grow light setup I'd like to try some sarrs under. From the bottom of the tray to the underside of the lights is about 18"/46cm, and assuming I use a 4" pot, that doesn't exactly leave much space. The lights are LEDs, at least, so the pitchers will have to touch to burn themselves.

I'm looking at S. x "red bug", which I'm reading grows to a max of 10", but I'd also like something that has a more flat-lidded, open-throated shape. Will S. rubra var. rubra stay within that size range if kept in a relatively small pot? I assume that, like flytraps, sarrs will grow to something less than their full potential size in a shallower pot. Maybe with some regular division to keep from having a particularly large clump.

I will also be obtaining some seeds. I have a friend with a bog garden who can take the results in a couple of years, once they grow too tall to fit.

Any suggestions? I know S. purpurea stay short, but they splay far too much for my limited space. The upright profile of something like a rubra or flava is more what I have in mind.
BumpyEvergreen liked this
By BumpyEvergreen
You are spot on with your own points.rubra rubra should be perfect for you, mine never got really big even from getting it from the Lowe's dormant kits so I was unable to tell if it was pure. To be honest though, a flava will get huge. Depends on the variety of course, but most of them are really big compared to Aruba
Attachments:
20180606_122945.jpg
20180606_122945.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 507 times
DSC_0075.JPG
DSC_0075.JPG (991.36 KiB) Viewed 507 times
By Fishkeeper
Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of them I found while poking around. I referenced them for their shape, not size; I like that oyster mushroom lid, wide throat, and very upright, narrow, contained growth habit. A dwarf variant would be lovely.

Nice find! I may have to try one of those kits again myself. I had one previously, before the sarr got large enough that I gave it away. NoID, rather generic green and red plant. There must be more than one species knocking around in their inventory.

I've ordered one of https://www.californiacarnivores.com/pr ... uxe-potted these rubra ssp. rubras. Hopefully I can get some pitchers with that strong contrast in the veins, it's very pretty. Any idea if a 4" deep pot would do the trick for one? For obvious reasons, I'm not looking to grow it to its largest potential size, but I do want it healthy and growing. Though sarrs do seem to be content with comically tiny pots in a lot of cases.
By MikeB
Fishkeeper wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:54 pm Will S. rubra var. rubra stay within that size range if kept in a relatively small pot?
The pitchers on my rubra's easily hit 10 inches tall; the flowers are 12-14 inches tall. It might work in your setup.
Fishkeeper wrote: I assume that, like flytraps, sarrs will grow to something less than their full potential size in a shallower pot.
No. Sarracenia are like a force of nature. What you'll end up with is a Sarr crammed into a small pot, rhizome pushing on opposite sides to change the pot from round to oval, and lots of roots popping out of the drain holes. If you ignore the hints, then the rhizome will try its best to break the pot.
Fishkeeper wrote: Any suggestions? I know S. purpurea stay short, but they splay far too much for my limited space. The upright profile of something like a rubra or flava is more what I have in mind.
It doesn't fit your profile, but have you looked at Sarracenia psittacina? It's the most compact species that I know of.
Fishkeeper, andynorth liked this
By MikeB
I was checking my plants before leaving for work this morning, and I spotted one that fits the bill: Hummer's Hammerhead, Sarracenia (psittacina x alabamensis) x alabamensis. This is a "classic" hybrid created by John Hummer back in 1992. The pitchers are upright and top out at 6-8 inches. One note: This is a vigorous plant and multiplies fairly quickly. I've slip-potted mine twice, and it's currently in a 8-inch pot.

Not many people grow this hybrid, but a quick Google search turned up a couple U.S. sellers:

$20.00 - Michael Sprouse (large division shipped bare-root)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204382469788

$29.95 (shipped in a 3.5-inch pot)
https://www.growcarnivorousplants.com/s ... ammerhead/
By Fishkeeper
MikeB wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:48 pm I was checking my plants before leaving for work this morning, and I spotted one that fits the bill: Hummer's Hammerhead, Sarracenia (psittacina x alabamensis) x alabamensis. This is a "classic" hybrid created by John Hummer back in 1992. The pitchers are upright and top out at 6-8 inches. One note: This is a vigorous plant and multiplies fairly quickly. I've slip-potted mine twice, and it's currently in a 8-inch pot.

Not many people grow this hybrid, but a quick Google search turned up a couple U.S. sellers:

$20.00 - Michael Sprouse (large division shipped bare-root)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204382469788

$29.95 (shipped in a 3.5-inch pot)
https://www.growcarnivorousplants.com/s ... ammerhead/
Ah, these look perfect! Thank you. I'll check out both those sellers and buy one. Horizontal spread is fine, I can get it a nice bonsai pot to allow it plenty of headroom while still providing rhizome space.

A question: do sarracenia need intense light down all of their height? I have some small LED grow lights (other than this setup) that provide enough light for flytraps at up to about 6 inches away, and dwindle somewhat past that. Do you happen to know if having strong light on their tops and lesser light on their- tubes?- will be a problem for them?
By MikeB
Fishkeeper wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:31 am A question: do sarracenia need intense light down all of their height? I have some small LED grow lights (other than this setup) that provide enough light for flytraps at up to about 6 inches away, and dwindle somewhat past that. Do you happen to know if having strong light on their tops and lesser light on their- tubes?- will be a problem for them?
Since the plant uses the entire pitcher for photosynthesis, I'd say that you want bright light all over. Even with my plants outside, I have to be careful not to pack the tall Sarrs too close together so that sunshine can hit the entire length of the plant.
Fishkeeper liked this
By Gary
I'm kinda late to the party, but if you have a Trader Joe's or similar store in your area (I don't know where you're located) look for one of these. I'm on the second season growing them and they still have nice short pitchers.
0405241531a~2.jpg
0405241531a~2.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 106 times
Can vft survive windy days?

Mine survived just fine in the 70mph gusts my area[…]

Hi!

Welcome! Check out the care info at https://www.[…]

Feeding fish food to CP’s?

Not sure about your foods but i use "tetra be[…]

Your vft will be fine for a few days, but you shou[…]

Fortunately you caught it fairly soon. Do you have[…]

Our Postal Workers Hard At It

Or, they're just nuts. I'm gonna go with this […]

It is a possibility. However, you might do more ha[…]

Just wanted to share!

Hey all, Just wanted to share some photos of my pl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!